‘Project Star’: expansion in São Paulo State
‘Star Project is an ambitious effort by Bracell SP to expand its production capacity from the current 250 thousand tons / year to another 1,250 million tons / year, in order to reach 1.5 million tons per year. The expansion work has already begun and should be completed by the end of 2021. By the time it is completed, the Star Project is expected to represent the largest private investment in the State of São Paulo in the last 20 years.
Location and Employment for São Paulo Expansion:
- Over a two-to three-year period, Project Star will employ up to 7,500 workers during the peak of deployment with a fixed average of 3,500 workers; upon completion, the operation phase will employ up to 2,100 direct workers on a permanent basis in the mill and forestry;
- The epicentre of the investment will be concentrated in Lençóis Paulista and Macatuba;
- The expansion investment is expected to create employment opportunities not only in Lençóis Paulista and Macatuba, but also in nearby Agudos, Areiópolis Borebi, Bauru, Pederneiras, São Manuel, Barra Bonita, Jau and Igaraçu do Tietê, and throughout the state of São Paulo.
Mill Expansion Features and Sustainability Commitments:
- The new mill in Lençóis Paulista will feature best-in-class technology that will have a flexible line designed primarily to produce dissolving pulp;
- The expansion project will feature the latest designs in a ‘new generation pulp mill’